Perform highly skilled hand finishing operations, such as grooving and lettering to bind books.
- Place bound books in presses that exert pressure on covers until glue dries.
- Make boxes or specialty items such as binders and photograph albums.
- Trim edges of books to size, using cutting or book trimming machines or hand cutters.
- Design original or special bindings for limited editions.
- Establish production procedures based on job orders.
- Meet with clients, printers, and/or designers to discuss job requirements and binding plans.
- Pack and weigh books, and stack them on pallets to prepare them for shipment.
- Repair, restore, and rebind old or damaged books, including rare books.
- Apply color to edges of signatures, using brushes, pads, or atomizers.
- Apply glue to backs of books, using brushes or glue machines, and attach cloth backing and headbands.
- Attach endpapers to tops and bottoms of book bodies, using sewing machines, or glue endpapers and signatures together along spines, using brushes or glue machines.
- Compress sewed or glued signatures to reduce books to required thicknesses, using hand presses or smashing machines.
- Cut binder boards to specified dimensions, using board shears, hand cutters, or cutting machines.
- Cut cover material to specified dimensions, and fit and glue material to binder boards manually or by machine.
- Fold and sew printed sheets to form signatures, and assemble signatures in numerical order to form book bodies.
- Glue outside endpapers to covers.
- Imprint and emboss lettering, designs, or numbers on covers, using gold, silver, or colored foil, and stamping machines.
- Insert book bodies in devices that form back edges of books into convex shapes and produce grooves that facilitate attachment of covers.
- Perform highly skilled hand finishing operations, such as grooving and lettering, to bind books.
- Etchers and Engravers
- Molding and Casting Workers
- Plating and Coating Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal and Plastic
- Prepress Technicians and Workers
- Printing Machine Operators
- Tire Builders