Operate machinery to install roof support bolts in underground mine.
- Drill bolt holes into roofs at specified distances from ribs or adjacent bolts.
- Force bolts into holes, using hydraulic mechanisms of self-propelled bolting machines.
- Remove drill bits from chucks after drilling holes, then insert bolts into chucks.
- Test bolts for specified tension, using torque wrenches.
- Position safety jacks to support underground mine roofs until bolts can be installed.
- Position bolting machines, and insert drill bits into chucks.
- Rotate chucks to turn bolts and open expansion heads against rock formations.
- Install truss bolts traversing entire ceiling spans.
- Tighten ends of anchored truss bolts, using turnbuckles.
- Realistic - Realistic occupations frequently involve work activities that include practical, hands-on problems and solutions. They often deal with plants, animals, and real-world materials like wood, tools, and machinery. Many of the occupations require working outside, and do not involve a lot of paperwork or working closely with others.
- Education - These occupations usually require a high school diploma.
- Training - Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.
- Experience - Some previous work-related skill, knowledge, or experience is usually needed. For example, a teller would benefit from experience working directly with the public.
- Coordination - Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.