Direct and coordinate, through subordinate supervisory personnel, activities of workers engaged in fish hatchery production for corporations, cooperatives, or other owners.
- Collect and record growth, production, and environmental data.
- Coordinate the selection and maintenance of brood stock.
- Determine how to allocate resources, and how to respond to unanticipated problems such as insect infestation, drought, and fire.
- Determine, administer, and execute policies relating to operations administration and standards, and facility maintenance.
- Devise and participate in activities to improve fish hatching and growth rates, and to prevent disease in hatcheries.
- Direct and monitor the transfer of mature fish to lakes, ponds, streams, or commercial tanks.
- Direct and monitor trapping and spawning of fish, egg incubation, and fry rearing, applying knowledge of management and fish culturing techniques.
- Grow fish and shellfish as cash crops or for release into freshwater or saltwater.
- Monitor environments to ensure maintenance of optimum conditions for aquatic life.
- Supervise and train aquaculture and fish hatchery support workers.
- Account for and disburse funds.
- Collect information regarding techniques for fish collection and fertilization, spawn incubation, and treatment of spawn and fry.
- Conduct and supervise stock examinations in order to identify diseases or parasites.
- Confer with biologists, fish pathologists, and other fishery personnel to obtain data concerning fish habits, diseases, food, and environmental requirements.
- Design and construct pens, floating stations, and collector strings or fences for sea farms.
- Identify environmental requirements of a particular species, and select and oversee the preparation of sites for species cultivation.
- Operate and maintain cultivating and harvesting equipment.
- Prepare reports required by state and federal laws.
- Scuba dive in order to inspect sea farm operations.
- Crop and Livestock Managers
- Farm and Home Management Advisors
- Farmers and Ranchers
- First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Agricultural Crop and Horticultural Workers
- First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Animal Husbandry and Animal Care Workers
- First-Line Supervisors/Managers of Aquacultural Workers
- Nursery and Greenhouse Managers
- Range Managers